MICA Medical Foundation
MICA Medical Foundation was founded in 2014 to support physician education and training, medical care delivery research, and improved patient outcomes in the communities we serve, consistent with MICA’s core mission and values.
To be eligible for grant funding, programs and initiatives must focus on improving patient safety, quality of care, reducing medical errors, and/or physician education and training.
Organizations seeking funding must qualify as exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Activities must have a primary impact in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada and/or Utah, and are typically centered on:
- The education and training of physicians
- Development, implementation, or changes in health care-related systems, tools, and processes that improve outcomes
- Pilot programs designed to improve medicine
MICA Medical Foundation does NOT fund the following:
- Political organizations, campaigns and lobbying efforts
- Religious organizations
- Endowment campaigns
- Societies and fraternal organizations
- Telephone solicitation
- Construction or repair of facilities
- Capital campaigns
- Projects that benefit individual applicants or serve a limited audience
Residency Program Grants
MICA Medical Foundation partnered with St. Joseph’s Foundation in support of two additional resident slots for the Obstetrics and Gynecology training program. The grant is supporting the need of additional physicians in the community by providing four years of training to a recent medical school graduate entering into the residency program.
Scholastic Achievement Programs
MICA Medical Foundation works with the University of Arizona, AT Still University, Midwestern University, and University of Arizona – Phoenix, to provide scholastic achievement awards for medical students. The prestigious Robert F. Crawford Scholastic Achievement Award goes to the top-ranked medical student in each program.
MICA Medical Foundation and Maricopa County Medical Society Medical Student Essay Program
MMF and MCMS have co-sponsored an essay program for medical students to write about emerging topics in healthcare. One essay from the four Maricopa County medical schools will be chosen by each university, and the winner will receive an award of $2,500.
- University of Arizona, College of Medicine – Phoenix: Aishan Shi, 1st Year Medical Student, as published in the March 2016 issue of Round-Up magazine
- A.T. Still University – School of Osteopathic Medicine: Thomas Esposito, 1st Year Medical Student, as published in the May 2016 issue of Round-Up magazine
- Midwestern University – Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine: Himaja Gaddipati, 2nd Year Medical Student, as published in the July 2016 issue of Round-Up magazine
- Creighton University School of Medicine: Michael Hafertepe, 4th Year Medical Student, as published in the September 2016 issue of Round-Up magazine
- University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson: Alex Alvarez, 2nd Year Medical/PhD Student, as published in the February 2017 issue of Arizona Physician magazine
- A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine: Maryann Davies, 3rd Year Medical Student, as published in the April 2017 issue of Arizona Physician magazine
- University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix: Michelle McQuilkin, 4th Year Medical Student, as published in the June 2017 issue of Arizona Physician magazine
- Photos - University of Arizona 2018 Scholarship Recipients
- Press Release September 2018 - Training the Next Generation of Doctors
- Photos - St. Joseph's & MICA Medical Foundation Grant Recognition Gathering-August 2018
- St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center Annual Stewardship Report July 2017
- Photos - St. Joseph's & MICA Medical Foundation Gathering 2017
- Press Release July 2016 - MICA Medical Foundation Pledges Support to St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center
Meet the Board members who select grant recipients and our staff who run the program.
- Amy A. Silverthorn, M.D., Chairperson
- Steven P. Matteucci, J.D.
- Karen J. Nichols, D.O.
- James F. Carland III, M.D., President
- Julie A. Ritzman, Vice President
- Ronald E. Malpiedi, Secretary
- Edward G. Marley, Treasurer
For more information about MICA Medical Foundation, please contact:
Julie A. Ritzman