MICA Medical Foundation
MICA Medical Foundation was founded in 2014 to support physician education and training, medical care delivery research, and improved patient outcomes in the communities we serve, consistent with MICA’s core mission and values.
To be eligible for grant funding, programs and initiatives must focus on improving patient safety, quality of care, reducing medical errors, and/or physician education and training.
Organizations seeking funding must qualify as exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Activities must have a primary impact in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada and/or Utah, and are typically centered on:
- The education and training of physicians
- Development, implementation, or changes in health care-related systems, tools, and processes that improve outcomes
- Pilot programs designed to improve medicine
MICA Medical Foundation does NOT fund the following:
- Political organizations, campaigns and lobbying efforts
- Religious organizations
- Endowment campaigns
- Societies and fraternal organizations
- Telephone solicitation
- Construction or repair of facilities
- Capital campaigns
- Projects that benefit individual applicants or serve a limited audience
Residency Program Grants
The MICA Medical Foundation has committed to funding three four-year residency positions in the Obstetrics/Gynecology Combined Residency Program at Dignity Health’s St. Joseph Hospital and Maricopa County Medical Center.
Scholastic Achievement Programs
MICA Medical Foundation works with the University of Arizona, AT Still University, Midwestern University, and University of Arizona – Phoenix, to provide scholastic achievement awards for medical students. The prestigious Robert F. Crawford Scholastic Achievement Award goes to the top-ranked medical student in each program.
- Three U of A College of Medicine–Phoenix Students Receive MICA Scholarships - October 2019
- Photos - St. Joseph's & MICA Medical Foundation Grant Recognition Breakfast-August 2019
- Photos - University of Arizona 2018 Scholarship Recipients
- Press Release September 2018 - Training the Next Generation of Doctors
- Photos - St. Joseph's & MICA Medical Foundation Grant Recognition Gathering-August 2018
Meet the Board members who select grant recipients and our staff who run the program.
- Karen J. Nichols, D.O., Chair
- Roseanne Collins, M.D.
- Steven P. Matteucci, J.D.
- James F. Carland III, M.D., President
- Ronald E. Malpiedi, Secretary
- Edward G. Marley, Treasurer
For more information about MICA Medical Foundation, please contact:
Edward G. Marley
Vice President & Chief Financial Officer