What's New & Archive
On behalf of everyone at MICA, our hearts go out to all those impacted by COVID-19 – this includes not only those diagnosed with the virus, but also their friends and family, those whose jobs and schools have been impacted and most importantly the health care professionals working to combat this outbreak.
The situation is shifting rapidly, and we want to assure you that we have taken the necessary steps to continue servicing all policyholders and insureds. To protect the health of our employees, ensure business continuity, and follow the directives set forth by our state and federal government, we have asked our staff to work remotely until further notice. Customer Service Representatives, Risk Management personnel and Claims staff remain ready to take your calls and answer any questions that you may have. Our Risk Management Hotline will continue to be available to all MICA members should you require additional advice and/or assistance.
There is no question this is a time of great uncertainty and challenge. While we don’t exactly know what the future holds, we’re confident that by sticking together and standing ready to support our members, we’ll emerge from this pandemic stronger than before. Thank you for trusting MICA with your Medical Professional Liability needs.
We're Here for You
Immediate assistance is available to all MICA members.
Risk Management Hotline
(800) 352-0402 x 2137
Monday - Friday
8:30am to 5:00pm MST
Report a Claim
MICA Risk Management Resources
- Hot Topic: Sanitize Your Cell Phone
- Hot Topic: Physicians, Medical Practices, and Health Care Organizations are Cyber Targets
- Hot Topic: Patient Engagement in Telemedicine
- Hot Topic: Litigation Funding Companies Courting Whistleblowers
- Hot Topic: Seven Vital Questions to Ask When Choosing a Virtual Care Platform
- Hot Topic: Closing, Selling, or Leaving Your Practice? What About the Records?
- Hot Topic: Coronavirus Scams Targeting Physicians
- Hot Topic: Telemedicine and Prescribing During a National Health Emergency
- Hot Topic: Virtual Voice Assistants and Telemedicine
- Hot Topic: On the Frontlines of COVID-19
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Vaccination Clinics
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - No Shoes, No Shirt, No Mask, No Service
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Vaccinations
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Prescription Refills
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Resuming Elective Surgeries in Arizona
- Hot Topic: Coronavirus Chaos at Home
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Informed Consent for Elective or Non-essential Surgery and COVID-19
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Notifying Patients of Plan to Reopen Practice or Reinstate In-Office Appointments
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Training and Refreshing Physicians and Practice Staff
- Hot Topic: HIPAA Compliance in Telehealth After the Pandemic
- Hot Topic: Responsible Opioid Prescribing and Management During COVID-19
- Hot Topic: Contacting Recovered COVID-19 Patients about Blood and Plasma Donations
- Hot Topic: No Turning Back: Telehealth Will Play Major Role After COVID-19
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care – Telemedicine Considerations for Post-Operative Care
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care – When Your Symptomatic Patient Refuses a COVID-19 Test
- FBI Alert: COVID-19 Email Phishing Against US Healthcare Providers
- COVID-19/Coronavirus FAQs
- Guidance for Coronavirus Temporary Telemedicine
- Guidance for Coronavirus Resources
- Reopening a Medical Practice or Reinstating In-Office Appointments During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Doctors, Parents, And Children At The Time Of COVID-19
- Resource Document for Doctors, Parents, And Children At The Time Of COVID-19 Podcast
- Embracing a Positive Lifestyle Podcast: Episode 1 - Having a Sense of Purpose
- Embracing a Positive Lifestyle Podcast: Episode 2 - Lifestyle Choices and Wellness
- Embracing a Positive Lifestyle Podcast: Episode 3 - Social Engagement
- Practice Perspectives: Internal Medicine and COVID-19
- Practice Perspectives: Internal Medicine/Nuclear Cardiology and COVID-19
- Practice Perspectives: Surgical Ophthalmology
- Stress and Burnout During a Pandemic-Module 1: Physician & Clinician Stress
- Stress and Burnout During a Pandemic-Module 2: Home Stress
- Stress and Burnout During a Pandemic - Module 3: Financial and Operational Stress
- Managing Stress and Anxiety During COVID-19
- Preparing Your Practice for Post-COVID-19 Patient Care
- Risk Management Responses to Coronavirus
MICA: Operational Changes
Please note the following operational changes that will remain in effect until further notice.
Printing and Mailing of Policy Documents
Beginning April 2, 2020 all Underwriting and Customer Service team members will be working remotely. As a result, we will temporarily suspend the printing and mailing of policy documents. This will not affect policy issuance in any way. To access policy documents, including certificates of insurance, at any time, log in to mica-insurance.com. We will resume the printing of policies when allowed to resume normal business operations. We thank you for your understanding and support during these unprecedented times. If you have any questions or need assistance accessing your account on-line, please contact Customer Service at 602-808-2111.
Due to precautionary measures taken by our banking partner as a result of COVID-19/Coronavirus, the processing of premium payments may be slightly delayed. Please contact Customer Service at (877) 215-MICA if you receive a notice of non-payment and have recently mailed your check. Alternative payment options are available and can be found by logging into your account at www.mica-insurance.com. Thank you for your continued support and understanding.
Understanding Your Coverage
MICA has received an increased number of questions from our insureds and practice managers about their medical professional liability coverage and if it extends to the use of telemedicine. The MICA policy provides coverage to our insureds for patient treatment, including telemedicine, that is within the scope of the health care professional’s medical practice. The health care professional needs to be aware of state licensing requirements if they are treating patients in states other than where they are currently licensed. The MICA Policy will apply to covered occurrences for insureds providing telemedicine services to patients located in Arizona, Utah, Nevada and Colorado. Be advised that you must be properly licensed in the state in which you practice and the state in which the patient resides. Should your practice extend beyond Arizona, Utah, Nevada and Colorado, please contact customer service at (602) 808-2111 to discuss your situation further.
CDC Resources & Articles
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 resources and situation updates
- Information for health care professionals
- Interim U.S. Guidance for Risk Assessment and Public Health Management of Healthcare Personnel with Potential Exposure in a Healthcare Setting to Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Resources for Hospitals and Healthcare Professionals Preparing for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19
MICA’s Notice of Annual Meeting of Members and Proxy Statement have been mailed to members. By voting promptly you can help ensure a quorum and reduce mailing expenses. The form includes the web address for Simply Voting along with your Elector ID and Password. We also sent you an email on the same day that the proxy mailed that included the link to your personal voting page (no logging in). To vote, simply select either “for” or “withhold vote” for each candidate.
You also have the option of submitting your proxy vote without making voting selections by clicking the green continue and green confirm buttons. Regardless of how you vote, please submit your proxy by clicking on the green CONFIRM or green CONTINUE button at the bottom. Without that last click, your proxy won’t count.
If you prefer, you can also email or fax your proxy vote. Click here to access the fillable pdf proxy form. Make your selection “for” or “withhold vote” for each candidate, or if you do not wish to make voting selections, fill in your name, sign, and email to email@example.com or fax to 602.468.1710.
You also have the option of digitally signing and emailing your proxy to firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to use the digital signature feature, the pdf must be opened in Adobe Acrobat.
You must fill in your name and sign in order for the vote to be counted.
If you have questions, please contact customer service at 602.808.2111 or email@example.com.
At its recent December meeting, the MICA Board of Trustees declared a $20 million dividend* to be distributed to participating member policyholders in February 2021.
This dividend is derived principally from favorable claims activity during 2020. The dividend declaration represents approximately 25% of 2020 policyholders’ premium, for current members who have been insured with MICA for 36 consecutive months as of December 31, 2020. Those insured with MICA for a shorter period will receive a proportionate dividend based on their number of months with MICA.
This dividend represents the second declared by the MICA Board during 2020. The first dividend was $12 million, which was declared in April and distributed in June. The $12 million dividend was declared in response to the member business disruptions caused by COVID-19.
MICA is a mutual insurance company. Following the February 2021 distribution, MICA will have returned $683 million to its member owners since inception, including $32 million for 2020 and $134 million over the last five years.
On behalf of the MICA staff and Board of Trustees, thank you for your support.
*The dividend declared for the 2020 policy year reﬂects the company’s ﬁnancial performance. Past performance does not guarantee future dividends. This policy has exclusions, limitations, and terms under which the policy may be continued in force or discontinued. For costs and complete details of coverage, contact your insurance agent or MICA.
Please see our Careers page for current employment opportunities with MICA.