What's New & Archive
COVID-19: Practicing Medicine During a Pandemic
On behalf of everyone at MICA, our hearts go out to all those impacted by COVID-19 – this includes not only those diagnosed with the virus, but also their friends and family, those whose jobs and schools have been impacted and most importantly the health care professionals working to combat this outbreak.
The situation is shifting rapidly, and we want to assure you that we have taken the necessary steps to continue servicing all policyholders and insureds. To protect the health of our employees, ensure business continuity, and follow the directives set forth by our state and federal government, we have asked our staff to work remotely until further notice. Customer Service Representatives, Risk Management personnel and Claims staff remain ready to take your calls and answer any questions that you may have. Our Risk Management Hotline will continue to be available to all MICA members should you require additional advice and/or assistance.
There is no question this is a time of great uncertainty and challenge. While we don’t exactly know what the future holds, we’re confident that by sticking together and standing ready to support our members, we’ll emerge from this pandemic stronger than before. Thank you for trusting MICA with your Medical Professional Liability needs.
Notice to Policyholders
Due to COVID-19 and its impact on our policyholders, MICA has deferred cancellation for non-payment of premium until June 30, 2020. During this time, policy renewals will continue to be processed accordingly and will not become subject to non-renewal for non-payment.
Please note that this is not a waiver of premium. MICA is pleased to provide this deferral to assist our policyholders through the COVID-19 pandemic. Payment of premium in advance of June 30, 2020 is encouraged to avoid cancellation for non-payment and interruption of coverage. Payments can be made and processed online by logging into mica-insurance.com.
Contact our customer service team at (602) 808-2111, should you have any questions.
We're Here for You
Immediate assistance is available to all MICA members.
Risk Management Hotline
(800) 352-0402 x 2137
Monday - Friday
8:30am to 5:00pm MST
Report a Claim
MICA Risk Management Resources
- Hot Topic: Coronavirus Scams Targeting Physicians
- Hot Topic: Telemedicine and Prescribing During a National Health Emergency
- Hot Topic: Virtual Voice Assistants and Telemedicine
- Hot Topic: On the Frontlines of COVID-19
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Vaccinations
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Prescription Refills
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Resuming Elective Surgeries in Arizona
- Hot Topic: Coronavirus Chaos at Home
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Informed Consent for Elective or Non-essential Surgery and COVID-19
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Notifying Patients of Plan to Reopen Practice or Reinstate In-Office Appointments
- Hot Topic: Preparing Your Practice for Post COVID-19 Patient Care - Training and Refreshing Physicians and Practice Staff
- FBI Alert: COVID-19 Email Phishing Against US Healthcare Providers
- COVID-19/Coronavirus FAQs
- Guidance for Coronavirus Temporary Telemedicine
- Guidance for Coronavirus Resources
- Reopening a Medical Practice or Reinstating In-Office Appointments During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Embracing a Positive Lifestyle Podcast: Episode 1 - Having a Sense of Purpose
- Embracing a Positive Lifestyle Podcast: Episode 2 - Lifestyle Choices and Wellness
- Embracing a Positive Lifestyle Podcast: Episode 3 - Social Engagement
- Practice Perspectives: Internal Medicine and COVID-19
- Practice Perspectives: Internal Medicine/Nuclear Cardiology and COVID-19
- Managing Stress and Anxiety During COVID-19
- Preparing Your Practice for Post-COVID-19 Patient Care
- Risk Management Responses to Coronavirus
MICA: Operational Changes
Please note the following operational changes that will remain in effect until further notice.
Printing and Mailing of Policy Documents
Beginning April 2, 2020 all Underwriting and Customer Service team members will be working remotely. As a result, we will temporarily suspend the printing and mailing of policy documents. This will not affect policy issuance in any way. To access policy documents, including certificates of insurance, at any time, log in to mica-insurance.com. We will resume the printing of policies when allowed to resume normal business operations. We thank you for your understanding and support during these unprecedented times. If you have any questions or need assistance accessing your account on-line, please contact Customer Service at 602-808-2111.
Due to precautionary measures taken by our banking partner as a result of COVID-19/Coronavirus, the processing of premium payments may be slightly delayed. Please contact Customer Service at (877) 215-MICA if you receive a notice of non-payment and have recently mailed your check. Alternative payment options are available and can be found by logging into your account at www.mica-insurance.com. Thank you for your continued support and understanding.
Understanding Your Coverage
MICA has received an increased number of questions from our insureds and practice managers about their medical professional liability coverage and if it extends to the use of telemedicine. The MICA policy provides coverage to our insureds for patient treatment, including telemedicine, that is within the scope of the health care professional’s medical practice. The health care professional needs to be aware of state licensing requirements if they are treating patients in states other than where they are currently licensed. The MICA Policy will apply to covered occurrences for insureds providing telemedicine services to patients located in Arizona, Utah, Nevada and Colorado. Be advised that you must be properly licensed in the state in which you practice and the state in which the patient resides. Should your practice extend beyond Arizona, Utah, Nevada and Colorado, please contact customer service at (602) 808-2111 to discuss your situation further.
CDC Resources & Articles
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 resources and situation updates
- Information for health care professionals
- Interim U.S. Guidance for Risk Assessment and Public Health Management of Healthcare Personnel with Potential Exposure in a Healthcare Setting to Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Resources for Hospitals and Healthcare Professionals Preparing for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19
MICA Declares $12M Dividend to Help Policyholders Through COVID-19 Pandemic
Click here to view the press release.
Please see our Careers page for current employment opportunities with MICA.
MICA Report is now available
The 2019 Q4 issue of the MICA Report is now available on the MICA website. Log in today to read about today's relevant topics.